Translate

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Bobcat & I



bobcatIt was 10:30 PM and I decided to prepare to go for my evening walk.  I wasn't going to walk long, or that far since it was late and I usually go just after dusk.  Mase - check!  Cellphone - check!  iPod - Check!  But, I had to get my flashlight out of my car.  I shut the door behind me.....I stood out in the walkway for a minute in awe of the large bright moon, the twinkle in the stars and the different sounds of the nature in the night.  Everything seemed to be alive and thriving as the sounds of toads, crickets and owls were fulfilling the air....I guess those weren't the only creatures lurking in the night.  As I rounded the corner to the drive, there stood at the other end of my garage and not more than 10 feet away from me was a large Bobcat.  I've seen Bobcats in my lifetime, but this one by far was the largest I had ever saw!  It became just as startled as I was and in one jolt and one leap, it disappeared into the bushes.  I have three huge empty lots that are lush with trees surrounding my place, so it isn't surprising to me to find some kind of wildlife.  So, when the bobcat leaped into the bushes, I froze against my car preparing for attack mode [I gesture to you a karate chop action, lol].  I didn't know what to think of this wild beast and what he was capable of doing.  I've seen during hunting a wild boar chase me up a tree, so I was just guessing what this thing could do!  A couple minutes had to have gone by before I actually started to calm down and wise up that this pussycat is probably long gone by now and frightened of me and I can begin my walk (in the opposite direction of course).  But, I wanted to take one last look towards the bushes.  The darkness made it hard to focus but a few feet in front of me, and I kid you not, there I saw, like out of a horror film or your worst nightmare, two large beady eyes peering through the bushes staring right back at me watching my every move.  My heart literally jumped out of my chest!  My walk wasn't that important to say the least, and without giving off fear, I quickly dashed to the front door and into the house where I know I'd be safe.  There's always tomorrow evening for another walk....but maybe, I'll stick with going before dusk.


No comments:

Post a Comment